Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Simple Pleasures of Rue Cler

One of our favorite places in Paris thus far is Rue Cler, a street of shops and restaurants highly recommended by Carl's good friend Rick Steves.  We visited for the first time on Tuesday; unfortunately,  we arrived around closing time for most of the shops.  We did have dinner at a wonderful restaurant, Tribeca.

We went again yesterday to shop so that I could fix dinner at home.  I think I've mentioned that Carl rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath flat for us in Paris, complete with kitchen.  Yesterday was the first time I cooked--fresh food bought from the shops along Rue Cler.  After our visit to the Paris Opera and and the Musee d'Orsay, I plan to cook again tomorrow--some sort of seafood risotto, I think.  Rue Cler is home to a wonderful poissonnerie.  It wasn't open on the second visit, but here's hoping it is tomorrow.


Carl and Robert at the entrance to Rue Cler



Strolling Rue Cler








The freshness of the fruits and vegetables will make you weep--not only here,
but throughout Paris.  Little shops everywhere feature the freshest of fruits and 
vegetables.  The pears are divine.  We've never tasted strawberries like the ones we have
found at these shops . . . and blackberries the size of golf balls.



Carl's favorite, the Formagerie
Those of you who know me well know that I am not a raw cheese fan.  All of my
companions, however, are cheese freaks.  Needless to say they had a field day in this
quaint shop devoted solely to fromage.





In addition to the produce, cheese, and vegetable shops, the street also boasted incredible
flower shops.  Jordan and I, in particular, fell in love with the Peonies.

Although we don't have one pictured here, the shop that has been most important to us since our arrival has been the local Patisserie, which is about four doors down on the right.  Every morning, Robert leaves early and buys fresh baguettes and, if the selection is something he likes, pastries for breakfast.  Mon Dieu!  How civilized is this life?  We adore doing our shopping on a daily basis for the meals we eat at home.

2 comments:

  1. Rick Steves is a good friend to have! Love ya'll. Keep the blog comin'
    BTW love it all: fruits, vegetables, cheese, peonies (one of my visual favorites, but they don't smell very good) and of course Patisserie!!!
    Bring me next time, please, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peonies! One of my most favorite flowers (no matter how old fashioned that makes me!) Beautiful!!! Love the photos ALL of them - and your thoughts. I know how time consuming travel blogging is - so THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete